Re: cc or ml?

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 06/12/00-08:40:00 AM Z

> Now I'm wondering, does everybody know what a "cc" is? A "ml"?

Hi Judy,

They are basically the same thing, so you can use them interchangably.

1 liter is *defined* to to 1 cubic decimeter, which means
1 liter = 1 decimeter x 1 decimeter x 1 decimeter.

1 decimeter is 10 cm, so
1 liter = 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm = 1000 cm^3 (or cubic centimeter, which is
cc).
so 1 liter = 1000 cc.

ml is milliliter. milli is 1/1000, so 1 liter = 1000 ml (by the definition of
milli)

So you can see that cc and ml can be used interchangably although they
actually came from 2 different definitions (one came from the definition of
the volume measurement, liter; and the other came from the definition of
milli).

> PS: Doesn't "cc" *sound* better than "ml"?

It depends on which one one is more used to. Coming from a country which uses
metric system, I always use ml (and I pronounce it milliliter).

Dave Soemarko