Lawless Enlarged Negative Process

From: Brian Ellis (bellis@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: 06/12/00-11:10:54 AM Z

The instructions for mixing a1000 ml stock solution of the reversal bleach
call for 700 ml of water into which 50 g potassium dichromate is dissolved,
then 50 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid "or 500 ml 10% sulphuric acid
"with water adjusted" is added to make the 1000 ml stock solution. Could
someone explain what "water adjusted" means and how it is done in this
formula?

I understand (or at least I think I do) the general idea that since you've
added 500 ml of 10% sulphuric acid in order to end up with the equivalent of
50 ml of concentrate, some sort of adjustment needs to be made somewhere if
you are to end up with a 1000 ml stock solution but I don't know where or
how much. If you began with 700 ml of water into which 50 g of potassium
dichromate was added, and then you add another 500 ml of 10% sulphuric acid,
you have at least 1,200 ml of working solution before you "adjust for
water." So I guess the question is where in the process you "adjust for
water" and by how much with 10% sulphuric acid. I actually have 48%
sulphuric acid but if someone can tell me how it's done with 10% I probably
can figure out how to do it with 48%.

I posed this probably dumb question to Mr. Lawless before posting this
message but I may not have his correct e mail address and in any event I
haven't yet received a response so I thought I'd try this knowledgeable
group. Thanks. Brian