Re: sun exposures vs. UV light

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 06/17/00-12:05:15 PM Z

I have sun-printed in vandyke from an unairconditioned studio in a suburb of
Philadelphia and at summer workshops in other humid places with good
results. It sounds to me as if you may have overexposed your prints. If the
coated paper was too moist when exposed you would have gotten gray tones,
not warm browns.

If you happen to have noted the exposure time for a good print from a
particular negative in the artificial UV light that is no longer available
to you, try comparing it with test strips from that negative in full sun
(and also in overcast?), and see what the ratio is. You might find the best
sun exposure is half the time or less of the artificial light exposure.

With practice you can learn to sense the intensity of the light as if you
were a light meter yourself, becoming conscious of how much your pupils are
contracting, for instance, and the difference in sensation on your skin as
the sun goes behind a cloud and then comes out again. It is important to
slow down enough to sit with your print for the half minute or so needed to
expose it to feel the light.

Sarah Van Keuren