sun exposures vs. UV light

From: Gwen Walstrand (gwalstra@lib.drury.edu)
Date: 06/17/00-02:36:48 AM Z

I have a few questions regarding sun exposure as opposed to an artificial
UV light source. I've been using an excellent UV light source at the school
where I teach. Now, however, the powers that be have rearranged studio
spaces, leaving my equipment in storage for the summer. So, now I'm trying
to move my operation home and use sunlight for exposure of Van Dyke prints
or cyanotype prints. I've always had a controlled environment in which to
work, so having the number of variables increased has me wondering what to
try next.

My initial tests with sunlight VDB were hideous! The highlight steps of the
step wedge had yellow stain, the entire print had a much warmer, reddish
color, and the contrast was very low. My prints are usually a rich, dark
chocolate color (on Stonehenge) with nice cool white highlight. Could the
differences in light sources have cause the color difference....or is it
more likely to be caused by the other changes in environment (temperture,
humidity, water).

I live in the Missouri Ozarks where it's extremely humid and often very
hot. The rooms I'm using to coat and dry the papers are not air
conditioned. I have the opportunity to move to another air conditioned
darkroom for coating and developing, but would need to use sun exposure.
Does anyone have recommendations for my next tests or experience with
various humidity levels?

Thanks,
Gwen