Re: Eastman Commercial Metal View

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 06/19/00-05:28:17 PM Z

At 02:33 PM 06/19/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>At 12:50 PM 6/19/00 -0400, you wrote:
>>Steve:
>> I've got a metal view here and the label reads "Eastman Commercial View
>>Camera (all metal)". No Master View sticker in sight. Any idea where that
>>name comes from - or did Kodak make more than one metal view camera?
>>CHeers, Ed Stander
>>

>Kodak made more than one metal view camera.
>
>The "Eastman Commercial View Camera (All metal)" is a different beast from
>the Kodak Masterview. Both were 8"x10" metal cameras and a 5"x7" reducing
>back was available for the Masterview (I've never seen a reducing back for
>the Commercial View).
>

>The Masterview, if my memory serves me right, is a Magnesium alloy rather
>than aluminum. It has a crinkle-tan paint finish (very 50's) and it looks
>a lot more like a traditional field camera with a large square front bed
>that forms the base of the camera when it is unfolded. The Masterview
>looks and works a lot more like a Deardorff camera except that it is made
>of metal. I imagine that Kodak produced this as a response to the
>Deardorff since there is more than a passing resemblance between the two
>cameras. The Masterview is another excellent camera that has become quite
>collectable.

   The Master View is essentially a metal version of the Century Universal
camera. I see very few of either camera at the local sales but the All
Metal View seems to be the rarer of the two. A good Master View will fetch
close to $1000 US.
   The front tilt adaptor for the All Metal camera will also fit the 2D and
other cameras using 6x6 square-corner lens boards.
   Kodak built both the 2D and the All-Metal camera into the 1950's. They
are virtually identical other than material.
   A new bellows for either will cost about $200. If you buy either make
sure you get the extension bed with it.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.