Re: Salted Paper

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/20/00-09:04:47 PM Z

At 2000/06/20 10:34 PM -0400, Sandy King wrote:
>I am interested in experimenting with salted paper. If anyone on the list
>is currently working with this process I would appreciate advice as to:
>
>1) best paper;

I use Crane cover ("Platino" - is what some dealers call it). Actually, for
salt prints, you can use any good gelatin sized bond paper, too, but I like
the heavier substance.

>2) optimum salting formula, and method of salting;

Not critical. I use ammonium chloride, but sodium chloride or potassium
chloride are OK, too. I just happened to have some amm.chloride that I know
didn't have any bad impurities (like iron compounds, sometimes found in sea
salt, often recommended). I usually add about 5g of 200 grade gelatin, but
it's not necessary - I do it to give some body.

>3) best sensitizing emulsion for the above.

Also not critical. I use plain 10% silver nitrate, but any formula works,
and you can experiment to find out what works best for you. (Not an
"emulsion" - just "sensitizer".) Some workers add a trace of acid which
they claim aids in storage; I don't keep it that long, so don't know.

>I have already consulted Reilly, Crawford, Farber and Webb/Reed but am
>looking for some advice based on specific and individual experience.

This is so simple and forgiving a process that it is my favorite when I
want to "indoctrinate" non-alt people! I do add a gold chloride step
between the wash and the fix. Greatly improves the color, and assists in
permanence, as well. Webb/Reed (and the others, as well) has a fine
description.

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org