Re: Need advice on development times for Plus-X: AERIAL!

From: James Young (jamiehy@globaldialog.com)
Date: 06/21/00-08:40:46 PM Z

>Speaking of that, I just joined (1 hour ago) and also
>have a question about Plus-x, but Aerial.
>
>Has anybody used this in the wide roll format? I'm
>getting some 5" wide rolls and am wondering:
>
>1. what does it look like for general landscape type
>things, i.e. is the color shift noticeable? if so,
>how?
>
>2. has anybody ever processed it in pyro?
>
>Thanks,
>Andy

  Hi again Andy Plus x aerial film is a bit more contrasty than
regular (I think)
  I've been processing verichrome cirkut film in pyro and have done
some 5" plus x in pyro and came to the conclusion that I should do
some testing to bring the contrast level down a bit. I don't remember
what I processed it at. I think I compared the versamat times with
tri x , compared the pyro times, and started there.
  I've used the Plus x with and without the antihalation backing. I
found that spooling my own film without antihalation backing is more
likely to have edge fogging and needs to be handled more carefully. I
guess I need to rig up a better spooling system. Also one gets that
old fashioned highlight flare effect which can be nice so long as you
are expecting it.
  The aerial plus x made with the antihalation backing has less flare
and is more forgiving to a mediocre spooling job. The aerial film
does stain ok, though maybe not quite as well as verichrome cirkut
film.
The extra red sensitivity isn't much to worry about.
  Anyway , I've used it with my #5 cirkut and have gotten some nice
photos. I've been doing van dyke brown prints with some success. But
have to work on bring down the contrast level in the future. Jamie
Young in WI