Re: Salted Paper

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/22/00-09:33:05 AM Z

At 2000/06/22 09:23 AM -0400, Sam Wang wrote:
>At 12:41 PM -0400 6/21/00, Sil Horwitz wrote:
>>Also not critical. I use a 5% solution of plain hypo (well, because it's
>>the crystalline sodium thiosulfate, it's not even 5%, but 50 grams per
>>liter of water) and use it as a throwaway, one-use fixer. There really
>>isn't much silver chloride left in the paper for the fixer to dissolve,
>>but enough that you do have to get rid of it. As it isn't embedded in a
>>coating (like albumen or gelatin) the fixer has immediate access to it.
>
>I suppose that applies to Vandyke as well?
>
>Would you comment on the printing out differences between these silver
>nitrate processes? With some, gold toning adds some depth to the printed
>out image, whereas in vandyke, which has much less of a printed out image,
>the gold seems to prevent the image from coming into contact with hypo,
>and consequently makes a lighter image. Any way to avoid that?

You're talking apples and oranges! Salt paper is a silver process, while
VanDyke is an iron process which just uses silver as the image element.
Action is totally different - salt paper does not require a developer, for
example, while VanDyke does. Not having used VanDyke for a number of years,
I'd have to go run back over my notes. Possibly others in the group who are
presently using the process can comment more fully. Just remember, though,
that salted paper is an elemental silver process, with no helpers, while
VDP is a DOP process. Whole different mindset required!

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net