Re: Salted Paper

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 06/22/00-04:34:19 PM Z

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Sil Horwitz wrote:

> You're talking apples and oranges! Salt paper is a silver process, while
> VanDyke is an iron process which just uses silver as the image element.
> Action is totally different - salt paper does not require a developer, for
> example, while VanDyke does. Not having used VanDyke for a number of years,
> I'd have to go run back over my notes. Possibly others in the group who are
> presently using the process can comment more fully. Just remember, though,
> that salted paper is an elemental silver process, with no helpers, while
> VDP is a DOP process. Whole different mindset required!

OK Sil, now we've got you where we want you --- PLEASE !! Or somebody: I
understand the great difference in chemistry, that VDB is a silver-iron
process, action totally different, etc. But in choosing between the two:

There are serious reservations about VDB archivality -- the finely divided
silver being easily evaporated -- or whatever. Is the salted print more
archival? If so, that would be reason enough to choose it, unless there's
a great difference in some other respect...???

VDB is extremely easy, emulsion keeps forever so no need to mix more than
once a year, and then just coat it on. I've never done salted paper, but I
know there are at least two baths, possibly 3 at the time of printing.
I've always figured there had to be a reason for so much trouble, then
thought oh well, nostalgia is powerful.

Then what about looks -- to a gum printer, needless to say, a brown print
is a brown print. Gold-toned VDB does darken some, but still doesn't look
that different. Does a salted paper print look very different from a VDB?

Any enlightenment on these or related points much appreciated.

Judy