Re: Salted Paper

From: Rod Fleming (rodfleming@sol.co.uk)
Date: 06/23/00-02:17:42 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sil Horwitz" <silh@earthlink.net>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 01:36
Subject: Re: Salted Paper
> I know I haven't answered all the points brought up, possibly because I
> don't think it's necessary, possibly because I don't know. I'd like to
hear
> other views. You may induce me to begin work on another article!

That was a good reply, Sil, so please don't take it awry that I've only
snipped the above. I have two questions about salt prints, which you or
someone else might be able to answer.

The first Judy has already asked- how permanent are they? I am assuming that
a toned salt print is comparable in permanence to a toned gelatin silver
print, given proper work method. Is this assumption correct?

I know that gold toning is popular with salt prints........To avoid
needlessly following blind alleys others have already walked, which other
toners will work? I have seen one reference to selenium toning salt prints,
and I can't remember where it was. Selenium on gelatin silver, as everyone
will be aware, can produce a surprising array of colours depending on the
paper used but at its best is very nice. How does it go with salt prints?

Also someone here - I think it was you, Sil- mentioned platinum or palladium
toning- anyone have formulae for these toners?

Finally, on another topic, this summer here in Scotland is a wash-out- we
seem to get one decent summer in three these days, and the ratio is getting
worse- and I am now at the point of giving up with sunlight in favour of a
more reliable source. Is there someone there who has built their own UV
lightsource for alt process who would be kind enough to send me, or even
point me in the direction of, plans and specs so that I can make one myself?
Largest print size would be 11x14.

Best

Rod