Re: Salted Paper

From: Sil Horwitz (silh@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/23/00-08:27:33 PM Z

At 2000/06/23 09:17 AM +0100, Rod Fleming wrote:

>The first Judy has already asked- how permanent are they? I am assuming that
>a toned salt print is comparable in permanence to a toned gelatin silver
>print, given proper work method. Is this assumption correct?

In my opinion, they are more permanent because you don't have the
possibility of little creatures chewing away at the gelatin. The gold
plated silver is pretty much embedded in the paper.

>I know that gold toning is popular with salt prints........To avoid
>needlessly following blind alleys others have already walked, which other
>toners will work? I have seen one reference to selenium toning salt prints,
>and I can't remember where it was. Selenium on gelatin silver, as everyone
>will be aware, can produce a surprising array of colours depending on the
>paper used but at its best is very nice. How does it go with salt prints?

You've had many answers on this one, which is good, because I've never
tried selenium toning. The gold gives about a beautiful a color as I would
desire. And I know it adds to the permanence. From what I've observed,
selenium is sort of iffy.

>Also someone here - I think it was you, Sil- mentioned platinum or palladium
>toning- anyone have formulae for these toners?

Not off the top of my head, but I know old issues of the BJ Annual (I have
them going back to the 1950's) show all kinds of weird concoctions. I won't
recommend any PT/PT toners until I've tried them, and that's in the future.

As to light source for exposure, believe it or not but the sun is so bright
here that our deep shade is about the equivalent of bright sun in the
Ridings (my late wife got her advanced degree in A/V at the Univ of York)
according to my light meter readings! I read so much about "sun" and
"shade" as exposure sources, but I don't recall seeing anything about using
a light meter to measure the area. I do. And before anyone on this list
reminds me that ordinary light meters don't read UV properly, they give me
a good approximation, which is all I need in Sunny Florida. (We have been
in the worst drought of the century - and remember this year is the *last*
year of the 20th century - with delightful rains yesterday and today in the
afternoon. My lawn, however, looks like the pictures you see of yards in
the old Wild West movies. No sagebrush, though.)

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net