Re: Options for larger negatives

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 06/24/00-02:18:02 AM Z

>I use a monorail camera, and am able to purchase a 10x8" conversion set for
>it. I've just done some basic sums, and to upgrade the camera, buy a larger
>tripod, Jobo CPP processor and Expert drum, 10x8" Film holders, new lenses,
>larger contact printing frame and UV light source etc etc could cost upwards
>of £5000 (£7500).

David,

I presume you live in the UK where things are more expensive than in the
USA. However, I live in Germany whree the situation is similar, and let me
assure you that I was able to get my 10x8 equipment together for *much
less* than 5000 English pounds - something like one third at the most
(Deardorff, 4 holders, 4 lenses; my tripod proved sturdy enough, but I had
bought that also as a used bargain).

I bought my equipment used over the web, and if you want more information
about this, please contact me offlist.

I think a 10x8 camera has much to argue for, if only the easiness of a
contact print, and the simple joy of the big ground glass on which it is
such a pleasure to compose the picture.

Lukas