Options for larger negatives

From: Nash Computer Technology (nashcom@btinternet.com)
Date: 06/23/00-01:14:59 PM Z

Hi

I've been making Ziatypes from 5x4" originals for just over a year now. I
quite like the small size of these, but I may be taking on a project to
document life in a local monastry, and this might be the time to look at the
possibility of making larger prints.

I use a monorail camera, and am able to purchase a 10x8" conversion set for
it. I've just done some basic sums, and to upgrade the camera, buy a larger
tripod, Jobo CPP processor and Expert drum, 10x8" Film holders, new lenses,
larger contact printing frame and UV light source etc etc could cost upwards
of £5000 (£7500).

I know it's a big question, but I'd like to know what the other options are.

For further info, I process my negs in Pyro, I don't have an enlarger or a
darkroom, but I do have a PC, Photoshop, and a run-of-the-mill HP flatbed
scanner and inkjet printer.

I assume that I could buy an enlarger and make larger negs (I'm not sure of
the exact process, and what quality can be achieved).

I suppose that I could buy a large-format film scanner, but then, how do you
output a 10x8" (or larger) negative?

And I believe that I could send my negs to a pro-lab to have them enlarged,
but I seem to recall that the cost could be horrendous.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions on how to proceed.

David Nash