Re: Measuring Negative Density Range

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 06/24/00-04:47:35 PM Z

Brian Ellis wrote:
> ... measuring negative density range.
> Do you measure the area of greatest density (which may be an area such as a
> spectral highlight that is totally dense and of no importance in the final
> print) and least dense (such as an area of virtually clear film, which may
> also be of no importance to the print), or do you measure the most and
> least dense areas of anticipated significance in the print? ...

I measure film densities of the negative by using my eye to evaluate the
corresponding densities in the final print.

It is important to understand the densities related to lightest and
darkest texture in the print and also important to understand to
boundaries of black and white. So when figuring TOTAL significant range
of values (dynamic tonal range) it is important to know the boundaries,
causing the limitation of black and white in the print. But it is
equally important to know what densities produce what values, whether
they be highlights, texture limits, shadows, or particular mid range
values.

Do not be mistaken as to which values are important in the image, as
they could be any. (A few examples: Highlights beyond the limits of
texture may be critical element in delivering the informative impact of
the image. A black reference can control the perceived substance of an
image. A skin tone can divulge much character of the portrait.)

For any process (and the variations within that process), it is valuable
to understand the relationships of negative densities to print values,
all of the densities that produce values from maximum process black to
substrate white.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/