Re: Density Range

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 06/24/00-08:50:42 PM Z

Brian wrote:

>This is a question, not an argument, just to check my understanding. Would
>it not be possible to have a scene in which the lowest significant value is
>placed on Zone IV (for example) and the hightest significant value is placed
>on Zone VI (for example) but which also contains accent blacks and or accent
>whites (i.e. small areas in which you don't care about having any detail but
>which are important to the overall look of the print). In this kind of
>situation I would think there would be a considerable difference in the
>density range depending on how you measured. True? False? If not true, how
>come? Thanks again. Brian

Hi Brian,

Given the parameters of the situation you describe I imagine you are
correct. However, I don't work that way. What I try to do is expose and
develop in such a way as to use as much of the DR of the negative as
possible. Once the negative is developed I do two things: 1) make a visual
comparison with other negatives that I have printed; and 2) measure the DR,
from the deepest shadows to the highest highlights. This tells me what ES I
need for the print.

In printing what I try to do is match the DR of the negative to the ES of
the printing medium. Most of my printing is done with the carbon process,
which allows me almost unlimited control of contrast on the print. By
varying the strength of the dichromate sensitizer I am able to print the
full scale of negatives with a DRs ranging from as little as 0.8 up to 2.8,
and even higher.

Sandy King