Measuring Pt/Pd Negative Density Ranges

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 06/24/00-09:42:44 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: Re: Measuring Negative Density Range

> In a message dated 06/24/2000 18:50:58, jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net
> wrote:
>
> <<For any process (and the variations within that process), it is valuable
> to understand the relationships of negative densities to print values,
> all of the densities that produce values from maximum process black to
> substrate white.>>
>
> Very well said Jeffrey,
>
> I think one of the aspects frequently overlooked is that the print
emulsion
> has its limits, and you have to match the negative densities to that
> particular print material ("process black to substrate white"),
conventional
> or not. Here's where a step wedge really comes in handy. Test the print
> emulsion range first and find those limits, then worry about getting the
> correct densities in the negative.
>
> Joe

Now, we're finally getting to the heart of the matter.

I have a Kodak density sheet that tells the contrast range for silver
gelatin, grades of papers.

1= 120- 95
2= 95- 80
3= 80- 65
4= 65- 40
5= 40- 30 and 30 is unprintable.

Mostly, base + fod is 17 to 12 min.

Now: What I would like to know, by guess, experience or extimate; what are
the print ranges for Pt/Pd i.e.drops [recommended] for each density
measurement?

Steve Shapiro, Carmel, CA