Re: Salted Paper

From: Cor Breukel (cor@lumc.nl)
Date: 06/26/00-08:22:30 AM Z

Sandy,

> BTW, I am a little confused about the color of my prints. All the
> literature I have, and the comments that have been posted on the alt list,
> suggest that the final color of a salted print (if not gold toned) will be
> a kind of reddish/brown. My prints are much more neutral brown in color.
> After fixing they are orange/red but on extended wash this color goes away
> completely and is replaced by the neutral brown color. The image also gains
> a little density during the final wash.

..I know the feeling: I am working on albumen printing, a variant of the
salted paper printing, as you ofcourse know. One of things I would like
to obtain is the purple/black/brown hues as seen in those well toned
(and stored) Albumen prints from the past. Thusfar I was unable to. No
problem in obtaining the yellowish highlights though..The nearest I came
was when I used the Tetanal goldtoner straight out the bottle; after
fixing.. Wheras Reilly claims that fixing with basic goldtoners is much
more effecient than acid goldtoners (the Tetanal is very acid). I now
fix before toning in a Borax Goldtoner, but I end up with a brown image
colour. Nice in it self, but no purple there (nothing near the beautiful
purple hues seen just after exposing..)

a Ps: I recently started using double coating: boy what a difference
that makes: the double coated print realy "glows", has more depth,
strength and ofcourse gloss. Makes the the whole procedure even more
labarious as it was already, but I wasn't in here for quick results,
wasn't I?

Best,
Cor