Re: Salted Paper

From: edzachary (edzachary@my-Deja.com)
Date: 06/26/00-07:54:02 AM Z

Occasionally, there seems to be an effort to make alternative processes more "mysterious" than they really are. Methinks the attribution of colour variences in Salt Prints to the BRAND of silver nitrate used my be one on those occasions!

Ed

--

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:40:20 Richard Morris wrote: >The colour of the final salted print depends on mass of factors - many >probably unknown!! What type of paper was used. What brand of salt if using >domestic salt. What brand of silver nitrate - they do vary. Quality of sun >light. etc etc. This is the fun of it. No two prints may be exactly the >same. > >Some years ago in the UK Brian Coe, then of Kodak, printed a load of Talbot >negatives for a Science Museum exhibition. They were done under UV light and >all looked the same and thus lost part of their charm > >Richard Morris > > >On Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:18:09 -0400 Sandy King <sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu> >wrote: > >> Thanks to everyone who offered information to my query on salted paper. I >> have now made a few nice salted prints and find it an interesting process. >> However, for some reason my prints show what is either fog or stain in the >> areas of the print that were brushed over with the sensitizer but that were >> masked during exposure. This fog is not in the image itself because the >> highlights of the image are nice and clean. Any suggestions what might be >> going on here. >> >> My procedure >> >> 1. Apply the salting solution with a brush, using formula in Spirits of >> Salt. Paper is 2-ply Bristol Rising. >> 2. Sensitize by brush with a plain 12% sodium nitrate solution. >> 3. Exposure with both sun and BL tubes (fog or stain with both). >> 4. Wash for 5-10 minutes or until the water no longer milky. >> 5. Fix in 5% solution with carbonate for 5 minutes. The fog or stain is not >> visible at this time. >> 6. Wash for 30 minutes in running water. The fog (or stain) appears at this >> stage after about 10 minutes in the wash. >> >> BTW, I am a little confused about the color of my prints. All the >> literature I have, and the comments that have been posted on the alt list, >> suggest that the final color of a salted print (if not gold toned) will be >> a kind of reddish/brown. My prints are much more neutral brown in color. >> After fixing they are orange/red but on extended wash this color goes away >> completely and is replaced by the neutral brown color. The image also gains >> a little density during the final wash. >> >> Thanks for any comments on the above. >> >> >> Sandy King >> >> > >Richard Morris >Brunel University, UK >richard.morris@brunel.ac.uk > >

--== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==-- Before you buy.