Scales - weighing your chemicals

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 06/26/00-01:16:03 PM Z

Some time in the last year there was some talk of scales and where to get
them. Someone pointed to Harbor Freight as having a very inexpensive
balance scale, which (thinking I really wasn't going to get into mixing
chemicals) I purchased without doing any investigation.

Then I decided to prepare my own Ferric Oxalate and I used my inexpensive
scale to measure 7 grams. This is when all my problems began with the
threads on no contrast and/or fogging etc.

One of the suggestions for correcting the situations included preparing some
other chemistry which required a more accurate scale that the one I had
purchased. So I bought an Acculab 600gm .1gm resolution, digital scale.
Needless to say, after calibrating, I measured the counterweights of the
cheap scale to find that I had been preparing 23% and not 27% FO.

While I still haven't performed my tests (some what more involved), I feel
confident that this was a major contributor to most of the trouble I was/am
having.

Moral of the story - the inexpensive scale was indeed very expensive.

Thanks for listening.

Nick