Re: color of VanDyke/Longevity?

From: Cor Breukel (cor@lumc.nl)
Date: 06/29/00-02:09:14 AM Z

Jack Fulton wrote:

> Re longevity of Kallitypes.
> At our local museum (SFMOMA) there are a number of Kallitype images that
> have been confused with platinum prints. They are and have stayed in
> pristine condition for decades. The tonal values appear identical to
> platinum and, in fact, there are many Kallitypes thought to be posing as
> platinum prints throughout the world's museums.
> They are really difficult to tell apart from one another when well made.

One of the reasons I started working on Kallitypes was precisely that
reason: to get platinum prints without the costs. Thusfar I have
obtained nice (deep black) gold toned Kallitypes, but if I compair the
same neagtive printed as a Zia type (Pd POP) the Zia type still clearly
wins in tonality and overall appearance (these things are hard to
describe). This is not based on an exhaustve testing and trying of
different Kallitype prtocolls though, just my limited experience upto
now..

Best,

Cor