Re: color of VanDyke/Longevity?

From: Sam Wang (stwang@mindspring.com)
Date: 06/29/00-10:41:15 PM Z

At 8:38 PM -0400 6/29/00, Robert W. Schramm wrote:
>I have been regularly gold toning VDB with the formula in Keepers
>of Light for salt prints. It does indeed darken the image slightly
>i.e. to a darker brown. I have never experienced any bleaching.
>Aside to Judy: "Fishheads" was gold toned.

Bob,

Do you tone before or after fixing? I've only toned before fixing,
and found it interesting that Sil said you should tone Vandykes only
after fixing.

The best result I got, a rich maroon color, was from toning with well
used Nelson's Gold Toner. Fresh Nelson's bleaches easily because the
hypo is too strong. The hypo in the toning solution is important to
get dark tones, since without it the silver would be coated by a
layer of gold before getting fixed, and get a lighter, though
beautiful, bluish tone.

It's just my speculation. As a chemist, Bob, please tell me if I am
full of it, or does it make any sense.

BTW, it was nearly impossible for me to get another print with the
same rich maroon colors, even after repeated tries. There are just
too many variables.

Sam Wang