Re: color of VanDyke/Longevity?

From: Sam Wang (stwang@mindspring.com)
Date: 06/29/00-10:21:19 PM Z

At 5:58 PM +0100 6/29/00, Gwen Walstrand wrote:
>Has anyone tried the wax coating or gelatin coating for VDB prints? Does it
>enhance longevity or just the surface of the print?

I doubt it. I suggested that a while back and got absolutely no
response. I wish those with better chemistry background would jump in
here. Where's Sil? Better yet, why don't we do the test ourselves?

>The colleague I mentioned did show me a matted print and pulled it out of a
>Light Impressions type acid free clamshell box. Any research out there on
>better methods of storing particular types of processes?

It's sad that most people, including producers of storage materials,
believe simply that acid is the cause of all image deterioration, and
that severe buffering would solve all ills. I bet the paper Leonardo
made drawings on were/are not neutral pH - more likely it's a little
acidic. During the last 20 years, paper manufacturers keep changing
their formulations, creating havoc for alt process printers, just so
they can advertise their products as "acid free". If it's acid free,
it's got to be better, right? Wrong!

We know highly buffered environment is damaging to cyanotype. Perhaps
Vandyke Brown as well?

Sam Wang