Help with Van Dyke and Cyanotype

Being a beginner in alt-photo printing, I'd appreciate some advice on
the type of enlarged negatives best suited for Van Dyke and Cyanotype
emulsion prints.

Assuming my starting point is a normally exposed and developed negative
(35mm or 6x6) - should I try to obtain "normal" looking interpositives
and final negatives, in terms of exposure and contrast level ?  Or
should they be over/under exposed and high/low contrast, for best
results ?

I'm using Agfa's Litho 0711p negatives. I'm planning to enlarge at the
interpositive stage and contact print for
final negative, and I'll be printing on Fabriano Artistico - if that
makes any difference.

Help much appreciated.

Joel