Re: Re: Digital negs SprintScan 4000

Hi Rob,

Since that MacWorld review, Polaroid has revised the software a couple
times. You can now take raw, "high-bit" scans into Photoshop. This is a
big plus as you're not throwing away tonality at the scanning stage;
Photoshop gives you much greater control for that kind of decision making.

The neat thing is that Nikon and Polaroid keep playing leapfrog in terms
of resolution and features. We benefit with better scanners and prices.
For now, I'd give the nod to Polaroid, unless you have a lot of scratched
negs or chromes. For those problem scans, the "Ice" feature on the Nikons
will pay off. Dust isn't that big as deal on the Polaroid since the
SS4000 uses a diffuse light source that undercuts dust, much like a cold
light on an enlarger. The Nikon uses more of a collimated source so the
Ice is really helpful.

Hope this helps!

Dan

www.danburkholder.com