Re: Anticipating the future

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, mmorrill2 wrote:

> ... the time is approaching for us
> to develop an independence from the corporations that can not see the
> value of keeping legacy processes alive.

And if I may be forgiven the (shameless?) plug, that was the point of the
name "Post-Factory Photography," although I use it also to mean processes
done on factory paper after it leaves the factory.

However, consumer goods and everything else are increasingly controlled by
large corporations.... if I should in desperation decide I need to replace
some of the rags I usually wear, fugeddaboudit -- no matter WHICH store
I go to, Bloomingdales, Macy's, whadeverwhadever, if I don't want Calvin
Klein or Ralph Lauren, I can have my pick of 3 or 4 other "designers," all
of whom make the same clothes anyway (none of which I desire).

An interesting thread on photohistory list today, about the large
corporations now owning movie making which close the picture libraries
that have been a major resource for research because they don't show
enough "profit."

Etc. Etc. What can you do? I believe there are already "cottage
industries" with film-making machinery, at least for dye transfer
materials. Equally to the point, might be a move to divest holdings of
large corps... ALL of them. Just as pressure on alma maters et al did have
some effect in divesting South America during apartheit -- well, those
with even a few mutual funds (and teachers, your pension funds???) are
part of the problem... either that or make so much money on the market you
can buy your own factory !

OK, time to go vote for the lesser evil of my choice ...

best,

Judy