RE: Anticipating the future

I'm not sure if Moore's Law is still current.  (Moore's law:  every 18
months, processing power doubles while cost holds constant.)  Computer's are
what you make of them.  They're tools.  I would counter Judy's pessimism
about the decline of the "quality" of the computer by mentioning my own
experience:  Two years ago, I used a store-bought computer and I had never
made a gum print.  But then, I picked up a copy of the Post-Factory Journal
and started making gums.  The need for more processing power in order to
make digital negatives drove me to learn how to build my own computer.  Not
a bad investment in time, as computers will continue to advance rapidly in
what they are able to accomplish.  Certainly I will continue to upgrade the
damn thing as long as the payoff is there.  As I write this, I'm copying a
CD, listening to NetRadio.com, testing some of Dan Burkholder's curves on 30
MB images (thanks, Dan, so far so good), and carrying on a conversation in
IRC, ALL on the same machine.

So, for those not satisfied with the notion of "junkier" computers, apply
that same spirit that caused you to take up Alternative Photography: thumb
your nose at the industry and do it yourself.

Presently, it takes minutes to apply that Photoshop curve to an image.  I'm
waiting for the day it will take seconds.

How's that, Judy?  Because of your Journal, not only am I a competent gum
printer, I've also become an expert it the art of CPU overclocking!