Re: Anticipating the future

Judy said:
>>As for computers being less -- or more -- hassle in the future. Dan, I
>>rarely bet less than a millions dollars, but.... wanna bet?

You needn't bow to the Microsoft God with Word 6.0 or Office 2000.
Appleworks (used to be ClarisWorks) is an elegant and RAM-thrifty program
that does a great job for most daily tasks. Give it a try.

I'm not arguing that software isn't bloated and filled with silly and
superfluous features, just that things will get better. It won't be next
month and probably won't be next year, but (and I've been wrong on too
many occasions to suggest a flawless prediction) I really believe it'll
happen.

About those clocks and blenders that were "so much better" in the old
days. I certainly got no beef with today's clocks: set 'em once and
forget 'em. The memory of watching my Dad set the mantle clock hands
every day is a warm and fuzzy nostalgic event...but I can live without
the hassle in my busy life. And those blenders. Figure what those old
ones cost in relative/inflated dollars and you'll see why we don't mind
having one that lasts 1/3 as long if it costs 1/5 as much.

Jill's heading to FotoFest with her Bromoils today. These are images that
wouldn't exist if we were still paying $600 for a megabyte of RAM and had
16 MHz processors on our desks. Embrace the good; curse the useless.

About the Michael Dertousos quote concerning, "trivial improvements in
appearance or presentation..." gosh, I thought he was talking about
women's fashion! Some things never change.

Give me a call next week. Though I'm very hardware-stupid, there's always
a chance I could help with your scanner problem. Besides, we need to
discuss the specifics of the bet we're going to make. >;^D

Dan

You said in your message...