Re: Xerox transfer et al

Sil Horwitz wrote:

> At 2000/03/09 11:57 AM -0500, Dave Soemarko wrote:
> >
> >I am wondering about the toners used in color Xerox? Are they basically the
> >same thing, or are they more permanent?
>
> Check with the Wilhelm Web page cited in a previous message. He has done
> extensive testing on all these materials.

Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, information on these
materials isn't available on the website. Wilhelm's definitive book,
"The Permanence and Care of Color Photographs" touches briefly on the
subject, and while restricted to materials available in 1992, offers
some relative comparison: "Electrographic or xerographic color prints,
all of which use preformed colorants to form images, show great promise
as a means of making stable color prints. Using a Canon Color Laser
Copier, for example, photographs of sufficient quality for proofs,
business presentations, and short-run publications can be produced
quickly and at low cost. The light fading stability of Canon color
copies is much better than that of Ektacolor prints, but not as good as
that of Fujicolor SFA3 prints."

In a light fading test under fluorescent light 12 hours a day, (same
source) the Canon Color Laser Copier Prints had an estimated print
display life of 25 years under glass, 40 years with ultraviolet filter,
and 8 years if prints not covered. For a comparison, Ilfochrome print
display life under the same conditions was 29 years under glass, 33 with
UV filter, and 21 not covered. And from the Wilhelm website, an inkjet
print with standard Epson inks on Epson Photo Paper is given an
estimated display life under the same conditions of 1.2 years under
glass, 1.2 years under UV filter, and .9 years uncovered. Hope that
helps to give some general idea of the relative permanence of color
photocopies.

Katharine Thayer