Re: Chuck Close making daquerreotypes

Also, in fairness, neither Chuck Close nor Jerry Spagnoli were making
claims to reviving the daguerreotype, but the Times reporter (Lyle Rexer)
apparently was, and without much information as we agree.

I also failed to point out in my previous message that these daguerreotypes
will go on exhibit at the Pace/MacGill Gallery April 22, if you want to lodge
a protest personally. You'll recognize Chuck. He's the guy that looks like the
face in all the photos on the wall.

I do have to say I'm of mixed emotion about this sort of thing. If Chuck
actually does help to awaken some popular interest in daguerreotype,
is that a bad thing?

As to the nude/is it art, sometimes I can't help a little poke.
Anyway, glad to hear Chuck's stuff passed muster. I just wish he'd get
some better look'en babes.

>Sort of like David Hockney practically credited with discovering the
>camera lucida -- from an article in the New Yorker. Hockney himself did
>NOT claim that, but readers of the article, never having heard of Wm Henry
>Fox Talbot, et al, assumed.
>
>Judy

Larry Watson
O'Reilly & Associates