Re: paper for digital negatives

Judy Seigel wrote:

> The "paper used for architectural drawings" might very well be what's sold
> in US art suppy stores, especially in the graphics department, as
> "vellum," at least it sounds very like. It comes in a pad (tho probably in
> sheets also), is smooth, hard, translucent, sturdy, and usually has a
> yellowish cast.  Also cheap, at least compared to specialty printer
> papers.

That's what I figured too, but maybe it depends on the brand.
What I found locally was a brand called Clearprint Drafting Vellum. I
bought a couple of sheets to try but found it unsatisfactory. Not only
did it absorb ink unevenly, resulting in a speckled effect throughout
the negative, but the thin paper curled after printing, rolled right up
like a cigarette paper. The package does not list a paper weight so I
can't compare the weight to Andre's paper.

Daniel Smith lists something called "Canson Vidalon Tracing Vellum,"
The price starts at $13.50 for a 50-pad of 9x12. That may or not be
similar to Andre's Canson paper.

Katharine Thayer