Re: paper for digital negatives

(JSeigel)
>The "paper used for architectural drawings" might very well be what's sold
>in US art suppy stores, especially in the graphics department, as
>"vellum," at least it sounds very like. It comes in a pad (tho probably in
>sheets also), is smooth, hard, translucent, sturdy, and usually has a
>yellowish cast.  Also cheap, at least compared to specialty printer
>papers.

Yes, Judy, vellum sounds right.  The Canson paper doesn't have a yellowish
cast but I have seen some brands that do; perhaps the hue is also a
function of aging.  Anyway, a slight cast should have no effect on the
printing results.

(KThayer:)
>What I found locally was a brand called Clearprint Drafting Vellum. I
>bought a couple of sheets to try but found it unsatisfactory. Not only
>did it absorb ink unevenly, resulting in a speckled effect throughout
>the negative, but the thin paper curled after printing ...

I found no trace of these problems with the vellum I used.  There is a
cheaper kind of tracing paper though that sometimes comes in rolls and is
very thin.  To tell the goat from the sheep hold the paper against light.
The good vellum should have almost no grain.  It should feel hard and not
the least brittle.  I wouldn't trust in vellum lighter than 90g/sqm.  Just
made another neg that I have also on two kinds of film for comparison.  I
find the result vvvery satisfactory:  nicely crisp, no smear and a very
even tonal scale.  For multiple gum printing it should be just as good as a
film negative.

Andre