Re: paper for digital negatives

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Andre Fuhrmann wrote:

> I am using an Epson Stylus Photo 750.  It is limited to standard
> office-sized paper (A4).  Perhaps it also prints banners -- I haven't
> looked into that yet.  The 1200 version of the same printer prints up to A3
> size (roughly twice the standard size = A4).
>
> >One problem I've had all along (among a bunch of new ones) printing waxed
> >paper negs from my LASER PRINTER is that, even waxed, the paper isn't
> >translucent enough for good re-register of the tricolor separations (which
> >is what I'm using the printer for). The vellum would almost certainly be
> >more translucent...
>
> Indeed, it is.  Using Photoshop you can also print registration marks
> around the neg, though I prefer to rely on pencil marks for the more hefty
> prints.

When I put the printouts on top of each other I find minor differences in
position, enough to ruin register. But now that you mention it, the
register marks put in by the software program should match -- even if the
sheets don't. Thanks !

But, speaking of pencil -- I like to leave a plain paper border around the
print. Do you find your pencil register marks on the paper erase cleanly?
I've found that once paper has been wet, it's very hard to erase pencil.
Maybe I'll try a stuck-on register mark on the paper that can be removed
by solvent (tho that might soak off ?).

Which is to say, I've gotten spoiled (lazy?) re-registering prints from
regular negatives on the light table.... Register marks: ugh ! But now
that you mention it, probably needed with a paper neg of any kind.

Thanks again...

Judy