Re: Re: negatives from deskjet

Hi Jeff,

Sorry, I wasn't' trying to ignore your great tests with Tri-X as a
substrate for inkjet negatives. You got me anxious to try that film now
myself. My tests with (non-hardening fixed) FP4 sheet film in 1998 were
disappointing, but maybe a heavier gelatin coat or better retouching
tooth on the Tri-X is the trick for hanging onto the ink! This is GREAT
info!

About the 256 shades: I suspect your HP printer (though I use an HP laser
for business printing, I've never used one of their inkjets) is using a
stochastic (random dot) scheme for laying ink on paper so the "rules"
about "number of gray values" don't absolutely apply like they do for a
printer that uses a "line screen" approach. I guess the best test for
continuous-tone look and feel would be to print a gray ramp (the kind you
make in Photoshop with the Gradient Tool) that goes from Black to White.
Any problem with posterization should reveal itself in your output.

Please keep the group (and me) appraised of your test results. It's
terrifically exciting to watch as we march ever closer to having enlarged
negatives as close as our desktops!

Dan

Jeffrey D. Mathias said...