Re: desktop negatives - tests in cyanotype

Sarah:
I was wondering if your "perfectly straightforward" image setter negs
on the scitex were a linescreen or diffusion dither, as we've had
some difficulty w/ diffusion dither on a 4800dpi scitex in Mexico.
Linescreens work great.
Thanks,
byron brauchli

>I also used the same file to have Scitex imagesetter negatives
>produced in a perfectly straightforward manner and was thrilled with
>the large scale and the rich tonal gradation. Knowing that such a
>range of sizes and effects can be derived from a crudely scanned
>(300 dpi on Umax Vista S8, vintage '93) sliver of a pinhole negative
>is very heartening. I hope to buy an Epson 1270 and, using 11x14 or
>13x17 or roll transparency film from Luminos, to produce my own
>digital negatives. I'm hoping also to get a new scanner that could
>still handle 8x10. Am considering the Agfa Duoscan T1200 or the
>Microtek ScanMaker 4. Any advice?
>
>And thanks, Dan, for your wonderful new edition of Making Digital
>Images. At first I stubbornly experimented on my own and learned
>quite a bit but then it was such a boost to read your chapter on
>Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing.
>
>Sarah Van Keuren

Sarah:

I was wondering if your "perfectly straightforward" image setter negs
on the scitex were a linescreen or diffusion dither, as we've had some
difficulty w/ diffusion dither on a 4800dpi scitex in Mexico.
Linescreens work great.

Thanks,

byron brauchli

<excerpt>

I also used the same file to have Scitex imagesetter negatives produced
in a perfectly straightforward manner and was thrilled with the large
scale and the rich tonal gradation. Knowing that such a range of sizes
and effects can be derived from a crudely scanned (300 dpi on Umax
Vista S8, vintage '93) sliver of a pinhole negative is very heartening.
I hope to buy an Epson 1270 and, using 11x14 or 13x17 or roll
transparency film from Luminos, to produce my own digital negatives.
I'm hoping also to get a new scanner that could still handle 8x10. Am
considering the Agfa Duoscan T1200 or the Microtek ScanMaker 4. Any
advice?

And thanks, Dan, for your wonderful new edition of <underline>Making
Digital Images</underline>. At first I stubbornly experimented on my
own and learned quite a bit but then it was such a boost to read your
chapter on Making Digital Negatives for Contact Printing.

Sarah Van Keuren

</excerpt>