Re: Epson or HP for alt-phot ... ? (some OT)

At 08:12 AM 3/21/00 -0500, Jeffrey D. Mathias wrote:
>Mitch Valburg wrote:
>> On the other hand, the print head in a cartridge that you purchase for $30
and
>> costs perhaps $3-5 to manufacture is probably built to a much lower standard
of
>> tolerances than one which must last through the entire warranty period,
>> especially when you factor in the more self-destructive nature of heat
driven
>> (HP) technology as compared to piezoelectric technology (Epson).
>
>Do you have some proof or evidence to back up such claims or is this
>just conjecture (as I suspect)?
>Perhaps one is best informed if they collect information on the printers
>and the technologies themselves from reliable sources.
>
>As a favor to us all, such claims should cite a source of reference.  If
>not, it can be assumed to be personal opinion.

Sheesh, Jeffrey, no need to get your back up.  I could (but don't) just as
easily take you to task for the "claims" in your original post; what source of
reference did you cite for your assertion that a "fresher" head is somehow
preferable, especially when you're comparing apples (heat) to oranges (piezo)?
I've owned and used both brands of inkjet for years.  It is not conjecture that
HP heads wear out faster, it is my experience that they do.  The replaceable
heads on the HP's wear out after just a few refillings (an average of perhaps 3
in my experience).  The Epson does not.  If by "conjecture" you are referring
to my comment on tolerances, my use of the word "probably" already identifies
it as conjecture, but in light of the relative lifespan noted above, I think
it's a pretty reasonable one.  The same with my guestimated cost:  "perhaps"
$3-5, based on purchasing numerous brands of empty cartridges for Epsons which
retail for $5-15, depending on source and model.

I'm not writing a thesis here, just commenting based on personal experience and
having been an mildly technophilic reader of the Leben Epson list and various
relevant Usenet groups for a few years.  In the future, if I make any equally
outlandish claims that you'd like me to substantiate, perhaps a friendly
request would do the trick, eh?

Bemused regards,
Mitch Valburg