Re: Wine in Utah, way off topic

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

> As far as I know, there is no border patrol in Utah, no
> customs agents, except possibly at an international airport.
> So, how exactly would the authorities prevent one from
> ordering wine over the internet, having it sent in via UPS?

You'll have to get the definitive answer from the Utah residents on the
list. I live in the next state over (Colorado).

To the best of my knowledge the only thing "controlled" is the purchase of
alcohol from stores "in the state".  I don't really understand the way
this works, but you can probably learn a lot about it on the web.  Try
http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/ and
http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/regulate.htm.

My understanding is that if you want a glass of wine with dinner you will
have to go to one of the state run stores to purchase it.  The store front
may or may not be located in the same restaurant where you are having
dinner.

- Wayde
  (wallen@boulder.nist.gov)