Re: Dassonville Charcoal black paper

Dear Mac:

Dassonville Charcoal Black was a legendary commercially produced silver-gelatine paper, made during the 1920-45 period, which was produced by Will Dassonville, an eminent pictorialist.  It was a silver-rich, warm
tone chlorobromide emulsion coated on fine papers in varying textures.  It hasn't been made since the end of World War II -- Dassonville sold his factory to Defender Photo Products (I think) but they didn't keep the
product line in production for very long.

It was an exquisite printing medium, and Ansel Adams printed one of his earliest portfolios with this material.

Joe Arkins
NY, NY