Re: Dichromate and the plate

> Hi,
>
> You'll all be pleased to hear that my plate did clear after soaking in water
> for a little while.  Print was fine too, though I got a greenish colour
> rather than the grey I was hoping for.  Dirty brush?
>

> Liam

Liam, did you soak the print for a while too? The greenish color could be
the result of yellowish dichromate that didn't wash out (or light almost-
yellow tanning from it) combining with the ivory black to give a sort of
army green. Yellow and black produce such a green.

Returning to the thread of whether or not tanning occurs in gum printing, I
have found that it depends on the density range of negative. My pinhole
negatives almost always have tanning in the open shadow areas because I have
to expose so long to print into the dense highlights, but there should be no
tanning when printing from half-tone negatives, for instance, because
minimal exposure can be given — just enough to harden the gum in the open
areas without heading into the secondary effect of tanning. I am interested
that so many people on the list were able to get rid of tanning with
prolonged soaks in water. I will see if that works with my prints and report
eventually.

I am finding the List along with PF to be a sort of graduate school in
alternative processes!

Sarah