Re: Hypo Eliminators

At 2000/03/27 11:20 AM +0800, Norman Ford wrote:
>Sorry for the dumb question but are you saying that Kodak's "Hypo
>Clearing Agent" w/sodium sulfite, etc. is potentially damaging to a
>silver gelatin print? I'm a little confused by the terms 'wash
>accelerator" and 'hypo eliminator'.

Just the opposite: HCA is a buffered sodium sulfite solution, with some
additives, and is therefore not highly alkaline. It is a "wash
accellerator" which aids the removal of fixer and does not break down the
fixer as do the no longer approved "hypo eliminators."

Sil Horwitz, FPSA
Technical Editor, PSA Journal
teched@psa-photo.org
silh@earthlink.net