RE: Image fading with Argyrotype

Hello Dan,

this weekend i have experimented again with argyrotype. I have increased the
percentage tween from 2% to 4%. With this 4% concentration i have made a
print (4x4 inch) i used 0,4 ml argyrotype solution and one drop of tween. i
used arches aquarelle.

after the initial wash (5-10 minutes in plain water) i treated the prints in
undiluted gold toner from tetanal. after that i washed and traeted in fixer.

At the same time decreased the percentage hype in the fixerbath from 2% to 1
% because in The fixerbath i obeseved a lot of imageloss (bleeding) tha last
time i printed.

Ideed i observed less bleeding than in my former experiment where i used 2%
tween. No bleeding in the first wash. little bleeding while toning and only
very little bleeding during fixing. More Tween does make a difference!!

After this i made another print with instead of one drop 4% tween i used two
drops. At the same time i increase printing time from 7.45 to 6 minutes
because i thought the first print was a little to dark.

Everything seemed to go as planned and indeed the wet print was lighter than
the first and there was very little bleeding. BUT when tis morning the
prints were dry i found that the print with two drops of tween and the
shorter printing time was the darkest of the two!!!!!!!

Back to the drawing baord....

Also i am wondering weather the tetanal toner is good for this proces. Maybe
there is a better gold toning recepy. I'll have to take a look at the
archives.

Greetings from the netherlands
Gerard de Vrueh