Re: dichromate and the plate

A copy of The Keepers of Light is within view of the computer and oddly
enough it opened to the Keiley print you refer to. Yes, that image does have
the look of a gum done the way I described below. But I doubt that you could
get that effect in gum using glycerine since there is no real developer with
gum aside from the solvent action of water.

Why not give the method I describe a try. Sizing is not needed because the
viscous pigmented gum sits on top of the dichromate undercoat and does not
get trapped in fiber. If the pigmented gum layer is puddled it will just
flake off since actinic light can't get through to adhere it to the paper.
But even when it is brushed on sheer, extra long exposure times are required
- at least twice as long as for a complete emulsion gum print. A browning of
dichromate in any areas not covered with pigmented gum will be evident. It
can be lightened with sodium bisulfite but a gray-blue-green version of it
will remain.

This method could be a way of painting with no light resist whatsoever. In
fact painting with complete gum emulsion, exposing and developing between
layers, enables a watercolorist to paint as if using oil paints since
underpainting can be fixed and is not disrupted by subsequent layers.
Sarah Van Keuren