From: Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 1:32 AM
To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
Subject: Re: sumi ink for gum

> I looked at your strips and have a hunch about what is happening with them
> based on my own experience. A subtle sizing is occurring in the midtones
> with a very light deposit of gum that is soft enough to release some of
the
> pigment or ink but slick enough to prevent staining that occurs in the
> highlight areas where no gum was deposited. This can happen with sized or
> unsized paper. With the former, hosing or gentle brushing can clear the
> highlights but generally the stain is permanent on unsized paper.

I too found Keith's findings intriguing -- I think I may have tolerated
more staining *in the context where I was using it* than he does... but I
was going to ask whether the paper was sized, since his e-mail doesn't
mention.

Also a propos of more staining in highlights -- this wouldn't explain
clear highlights getting stained (that's REALLY clever of you Keith), but
the parts that get least exposure get the least viscous, meaning tone
could sink into the paper more, longer... A good way to tell would be to
try a 21-step -- see what happens in the parts ABOVE the highlights.
(Unless that's what you did, Keith ?-- sorry ,I haven't got web on today.)

Judy