Re: Dichromate Hazards - Thanks!

From: Linda Phillips (linda__phillips@hotmail.com)
Date: 05/01/00-04:02:10 PM Z

Tony writes: "Who are we to believe? The newspapers, the television or
heaven preserve us, the scientific community. Each have their own agenda."

Thanks, Tony. But who is most likely to know of the dangers of dichromates,
gum printers or chemists?

Consider these facts:

1. Dichromates are, to some degree poisonous and carcinogenic.
2. Laws were written that forbid the discharge of these chemicals into
sewer systems.
3. Gum printers on this list have taken it upon themselves to declare
themseleves excempt from these laws, based upon the volume of the discharge.

Consider also:

Concise directions were printed on this list last week on how to isolate
chromium for more convenient (and legal) disposal. YET, even though these
methods exist, the general opinion on this list seems to be: WHY BOTHER. I
don't get it. We've read about all kinds of arcane chemical preocedures on
this list, manufacture of gold chloride with aqua regia, etc., but the
isolation of chromium is considered to be, what, TOO MUCH of a nuisance?
Better to simply shrug and dump?

While poking around in the archive, I noticed that a while back there was
some discussion as to how government regulations are making it more
difficult to obtain certain chemicals that are used for alternative
photographic processes. Now I see why this is happening. CAn you imagine
the uproar on this list if possession of Ferric Oxalate or Potassium
Dichromate were to be made illegal? But yet, here we have individuals who
flagrantly and publicly disregard the law and thus play right into the hand
of the do-gooder bureaucrats that wish to "protect us". Well, maybe we
deserve to be protected if we are going to persist in this lazy and
irresponsible manner.

Gum printing is a complicated process. The responsible disposal of our
waste products need to be a part of this process.