Re: Dichromate Hazards - Thanks!

From: Darlington Media Group (postmaster@mediaworkshop.demon.co.uk)
Date: 05/01/00-02:37:42 PM Z

Dear Linda,

Insufficient advice like knowledge, can be a very dangerous thing.

In today's tecnological society, we are bombarded daily with rumour, hype
and scare stories concerning the danger to our bodies or our environment of
this product and that chemical. Who are we to believe? The newspapers, the
television or heaven preserve us, the scientific community. Each have their
own agenda. The poor consumer is left baffled and wary not knowing which
way to turn.

Chemicals get a very bad press. Many people think that they are evil
polluting substances that should be outlawed. Trouble is everything is
composed of chemicals, the earth, the trees and even the tree huggers
themselves. You have quite rightly in my opinion, questioned the safe use
of one chemical in particular chemical, chromium (dichromates). Should you
forsake gum printing because of the danger of the miniscule amounts of
dichromate released into the environment? Well, I'm afraid that decision
must be yours to make. However, if do you decide to refrain then please
don't forget to dispose of your artist's watercolour pigments safely too.
Some of these contain chromium and even worse elements like cadmium.

My advice to you, is to read everything you can about the safety issues
concerning the materials you intend to use. Then apply a bit of good old
common sense. As an example of hysterical writing I have included a sample
paragrapgh from a material safety data sheet for a common chemical that is
in daily use.

Special Hazard Precautions: IRRITATION OF THE EYES, MUCOUS MEMBRANES AND
SKIN COULD OCCUR. MAY CAUSE NAUSEA AND VOMITING IF INGESTED. MAY CAUSE
RESPIRATORY IRRITATION IF INHALED. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN, EYES
ANDCLOTHING. STORE TIGHTLY CLOSED IN A COOL DRY PLACE. FIRST AID: IF
IRRITATION PERSISTS OR IS SEVERE, SEE A DOCTOR. EYE:FLUSH W/WATER 15 MIN,
HOLD LIDS OPEN. SKIN:WASH WITH SOAP & WATER. REMOVE CONTAMINATED CLOTHING
AND LAUNDER BEFORE REUSE. INHALED:REMOVE TO FRESH AIR. AID/RESTORE
BREATHING IF NECESSARY. INGESTED:DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. GIVE 2 LARGE
GLASSES OF MILK OR WATER TO DILUTE & GET IMMEDIATE MEDICAL CARE. NOTHING BY
MOUTH IF UNCONSCIOUS.

The name of this horrendous substance ............ distilled water!

                        Cheers ....... Tony McLean.

Why not take a look at the latest issue of Camera & Darkroom magazine?
http://www.camera-and-darkroom.co.uk