Re: Renew don't Recycle Ferric

From: Carl Weese (cweese@earthlink.net)
Date: 05/02/00-07:57:54 AM Z

Sarah,

There's nothing daunting about the humidity control of POP using Lithium
Palladium Chloride. The ammonium version by Dr. Ware recommends a pretty
elaborate dry-rehumidify procedure, but this isn't needed with the
LiPd/CsPd (ziatype) versions of the process. Unless your workroom is
extremely dry--not likely in Philadelphia--you simply coat the sheet,
blow with a hair dryer or in a film drying cabinet--no heat-- for a
short time until just surface dry, then print. That's all there is to
it. Most problems students/beginners encounter come from being too
cautious and overdrying the paper. It's no problem to get
edition-quality repeatability after a bit of practice.

I think this method is the ideal way to introduce beginners to
platinum/palladium printing. It's easy, requires fewer steps (no
development) and the true POP print-by-inspection aspect is a wonder for
shortening the learning curve. The materials--the afo and the metal
salts--are easy to mix, and the afo is, in my experience, very
long-lived which should be helpful in the school situation you describe.

---Carl

--
Website with online galleries and workshop information at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cweese/