Re: Renew don't Recycle Ferric

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/02/00-01:14:05 PM Z

Sarah Van Keuren wrote: We buy liquid

> A and B bottles of ferric oxalate from Bostick and Sullivan so the
> potassium
> chlorate is in half the material to be recycled. I don't know for sure
> that each
> batch is bad after 6 months but go by what B & S recommends, although
> we keep the
> expired bottles on hand for about a year.

I would recommend that you buy only plain ferric and have a separate
bottle of chlorate. This will give you more predicable control over
contrast improvement over that long period of time. ATT also
recommended that I replace my battery in my phone every two years, and
it is still working fine after 5 years. Not to knock Richard too much,
but he is in the business of making money.
<SNIP>

> I must tell you that my personal commitment is to cyanotype and gum.
> This
> will explain why I am not more involved in the fine points of
> platinum/palladium. Yes, I have read about the POP approach with
> ziatype
> but the humidifying aspect is daunting. We already use EDTA to clear
> prints
> followed by sodium sulfite if the EDTA wasn't sufficient.
>
> I don't teach mordancage.
>
> For the past few years the main thing I have been learning about is
> the
> production of digital negatives to print in non-silver processes. It
> looks as if
> you are into this also. I have both editions of Dan Burkholder's book
> and
> The University of the Arts now has a Scitex imagesetter. More and more
> the
> students are using various kinds of digital negatives. For my own work
> I am
> scanning my 8 x 10 pinhole negatives and developing an alphabet of
> figures and
> objects with which to create meanings beyond what I can orchestrate in
> real life.
>
> Sarah Van Keuren

I have yet to get into digital work. All the work on my site, which
will be updated soon since we just got a new scanner, is done with
traditional printing methods. Although I do crossover with positives and
negatives onto print materials that were not meant to be used with those
sources.

--
Eric J. Neilsen
4101 Commerce Street, Suite #9