Re: Renew don't Recycle Ferric

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05/02/00-04:25:34 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:
> ... I used the k ferricyanide test on my B&S
> ferric oxalate. It turned blue, & I discarded it (directly into Farmer
> Brown's well) and ordered some more. I mentioned this to Melody on the
> telephone & she told me "that potassium ferricyanide test doesn't work
> with the Bostick & Sullivan ferric oxalate." Which is to say, it was
> apparently still good.

The Potassium Ferricyanide test as outlined in my Guide does indeed work
on Ferric Oxalate whether it be from B&S, Artcraft, or home made. I
have run the test many times on B&S FO powder and it has passed.

Judy did the right thing by not using the stuff that turned blue as that
stuff would have likely resulted in fogged prints. If new FO fails the
test, send it back and get another batch. If some additive to the FO
causes a false indication (which has not been the case with B&S FO
powder), it is best to get pure FO and then add any additives oneself
after testing. Also it is always the right move to add contrast agents
as needed per coating.

Of course someone can insist that their FO could still make prints. And
it would probably make some kind of print, but not of the best
potential.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/