Re: Renew don't Recycle Ferric

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 05/02/00-02:23:27 PM Z

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Eric Neilsen wrote:
> ...the Ware/Malde process does not REQUIRE the dry and rehumidify. It
> does show how the humidity will affect color and speed of the print. Ware
> also provides, through that paper, specific color that can be achieved by
> specific humidities.
>
> I think that we can all agree that the eye can judge whether a print has a
> desired look. If one can get that color by simply drying a coating with
> cool air and quickly printing, or by drying and rehumidify, each method can
> work well. I see an advantage in slowly adding humidity, 30 minutes or so.
> In that, one should be able to achieve a more even humidity level throughout
> the paper. I have seen this as one fall back in Zia type print from reports
> on this list.

But a propos of hair dryer drying and SAFETY -- I've read one shouldn't
hair dryer pt-pd because chunks of metal could flake off and float into
your respiratory tract... Seemed far fetched to me, but it's said.

Also, apropos of the ferric oxalate tests -- some years ago when i had a
short spell of kallitype & pt-pd, I used the k ferricyanide test on my B&S
ferric oxalate. It turned blue, & I discarded it (directly into Farmer
Brown's well) and ordered some more. I mentioned this to Melody on the
telephone & she told me "that potassium ferricyanide test doesn't work
with the Bostick & Sullivan ferric oxalate." Which is to say, it was
apparently still good.

Judy