Re: Glass cleaning procedure

From: Bob Wier (wier@calcite.rocky.edu)
Date: 05/04/00-10:09:01 AM Z

>At 2000/05/04 02:20 AM -0400, Judy wrote:
>>However, label also says "do not use on windows or mirrors." Why, who
>>knows? You might ask them on the website.
>
>The Bon Ami now being marketed is not the Bon Ami of old! The stuff in
>cakes was made of natural volcanic ash, non-abrasive. The stuff in the
>boxes is just another mixture of chemical compounds, like most of the rest.
>That's the problem with proprietary stuff - the company can make a change
>and not tell you. Generic items are made to a specification, so if you
>read, you can be almost certain of what you are obtaining. (This happens
>often with foodstuffs, when the brand name becomes "improved" possibly
>changing ingredients that make it unsuitable for some people. Big problem
>with me, because I am allergic to so many ingredients.) Same is true with
>photographic chemical products. It's why I compound my own whenever possible.

The Bon Ami site

http://www.faultless.com/Products.asp?DepartmentA=Home+Products&theProd=Bon+Ami+Cleaning+Cake+and+Bon+Ami+Cleaning+Powder

is claiming to have the original formula still available ("Hasn't scratched
yet") and they say it's ok for glass, and they mention that it's recommended
by allergists.

It could be that they have another product out, though, which isn't
as benign.

Bob Wier

wier@calcite.rocky.edu