Re: Where's my love letter?

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 05/04/00-06:10:23 AM Z

Okay. I've just carefully checked my trash folder to make sure, and I
can report unequivocally that so far this morning I have had 30 messages
about the love virus. The first four came from my ISP, warning me about
the virus. The other 26 came from the alt-photo list. None of these 30
messages were the virus itself. We've skipped the first step: we've had
a war about suing someone for spreading a virus that never came, at
least not to my inbox.

As for holding Gordon personally and financially responsible for
virus-containing attachments, that's just nuts. If you're going to sue
someone, sue the person who sent the virus. If Gordon has to be afraid
he's putting himself at legal risk by simply being a good guy and
managing the list, how long do you think he's going to be willing to
provide that service? And who else is going to step up and do it? This
kind of talk is going to be the end of the list. Take some
responsibility. Don't send attachments to the list, don't open
attachments that come to the list. Simple as that.

Gordon's weekly-monthly reminders state unequivocally "Attachments are
not welcome on this list. .... Please do not send attachments to this
list." What else is he supposed to do? If people are perverse enough to
send attachments, and other people are stupid enough to open them, I
don't know what can be done about it, but Gordon is certainly not
responsible.
Katharine Thayer